Wednesday 9 March 2011

Audience Questionaire

I asked thirty of my friends and family to complete this questionaire and below are the results. An audience questionaire will give me a greater understanding of what I should and should not include in my thriller, and general guidlines in regard of character, plot, story and mood.

Note: This quesitonaire was conducted after the drawing up of the intial storyboard to see whether we would have to change anything for the final storyboard.

1.) Are you male or female?

As you can see, a higher percentage (63%) of males answered my questionaire. It is merely chance that I could find more males than females, but it does give me a better idea of what my target audence, who are predominantly males, would like to see in my Thriller.






2.) Which age group do you fall under?

This chart shows that the majority of the people (60%) that completed the questionaire fell under the age bracket of 16-21. This is most likely because I asked more of my friends, who are my age, than people older than me. I do not think this will affect the results as my target audience for my Thriller is teenage males.


3.) Do you prefer the Thrillers you watch to be in colour or black & white?

The results show that the people I questioned would want neither just colour or just black and white but a combination of both. This coincides well with my idea to shoot part of my thriller in black & white and colour to show two different passages of time. This technique was also used in Christopher Nolan's thriller "Memento".

4.) How much dialogue would you like there to be in the opening of our thriller?

The response to this question gave a majority of 56% in favour there being not very much dialogue in the opening sequence of my thriller. I like this response because I believe the less dialogue, and the less information that is revealed throughout the opening, the more ambiguous and mysterious the thriller will become.

5.) What weapon would you prefer to include in our thriller?

My gut instinct to include a gun within the opening sequence has been proven as a wise decision as 60% of my audience, 18 of them, would prefer this prop.









6.) How fast would you like the editing to be?

The response showed that the majority (46%) would like fast paced editing in the opening sequence of our thriller. This was the result I was expecting, quite frankly, as it is a common code of thrillers for them to have fast paced editing and this has become the common expectation for them.






7.) When would you prefer the title of the film to appear?

The end of the film was the time most popular to have the title of the film appear. We will put this into effect in our thriller.










8.) Would you want the costumes for the characters to be smart or casual?

I am glad I got this response as it coincides with my story which has characters who would be in casual clothes. The use of casual costume also fits well with the convention of thrillers, in that everyday scenarios play out with brutal twists.







9.) Would you prefer the victim to be a male or a female?

I was pleased with this response because we do want to break conventions within our thriller, and the convention of the female being the victim and damsel in distress is one that has always annoyed me. I am glad to be breaking the codes and conventions of the thriller genre and keeping the victim as a male.





10.) Would you want the acting to be more subtle than exaggerated?

Acting is an important part of the opening sequence of my thriller so I wanted to find out some sense of what my audience wanted. I'm glad that subtle acting was favoured more than exaggerated because my research on thrillers told me that less is more, and underplaying the acting will have more of an impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment